Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Seoul, Trip Planning, and Dog Cafe: April 5th- April 9th 2013

We started off the weekend by getting together with our group friends and going for all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ on Friday night. This was my first time going, but Ian goes with a few guy friends quite frequently. Even when one of our friends tried to make a reservation for Friday, the person at the restaurant said he knew who the boys were. I guess we did stick out at the restaurant, we were the only waygookins (foreigners)... It was a nice way to unwind from the week and start our weekend!

On Saturday, we woke up to pouring rain, so we had a bit of a lazy morning. We made a big pot of coffee, ate our "weekend bagels" (since we buy our bagels from Cosco, which is quite far from us, we only eat them on weekends, hence the name), and skyped Ian's family. We then headed to Insadong, one of my favourite areas in Seoul. It's no secret I like planning trips, and recently I have been doing a lot of trip planning, but this time I am not the one traveling - I have friends and family coming to visit Korea! My friends Larissa and her sister Teresa will be landing in Korea in 11 days! This reunion will become even crazier when my friend Molly comes the following weekend from Shanghai!! I lived with Molly and Larissa at Queen's and can't wait for them to get here! I am so excited to see them and to show them around Seoul!

Helping to plan the girls' Korean adventure is not the only trip planning I have been doing either. My family is also coming to visit us in May! My parents, aunt, uncle, and cousin will be landing in Korea in 35 days! I am very excited for my family to visit as well! This has been the longest I have ever gone without seeing them, and although I am truly starting to feel like a Tour Group planning both of these trips, I am enjoying it! Anyways, this brings me back to this past rainy Saturday. We walked around Insadong for quite some time looking for the best accommodations for my family, and I am happy to report we found a great spot that I booked! One more thing I can check off my list! Yay!

After this mission, we headed to Meyong-Dong to meet up with friends and check out the Dog Cafe. This is similar to the Cat Cafe we went to several weeks back. Ian is definitely a cat-person and even while we were walking to the dog cafe, he was trying to convince the group to switch to the cat one. The dog cafe was an interesting, only-in-Korea sort of experience. After buying a drink we were able to sit and play with all the dogs. The dogs were really cute, but I have to say there were some really odd-looking ones too. We stayed there for around an hour before heading to Hongdae for a delicious dinner of dok-galbi and a fun night out that ended with our group singing at a noraebong room (karaoke room).

It was a really great weekend and as for other updates, Ian officially accepted Waterloo for the MPS program. He is at another staff dinner tonight (his school has a lot of them) so I am sure he will have stories from it.  We have also been invited to another wedding, this time it is one of the teacher's at Ian's school that is getting married in May.  We have a lot planned for the next several upcoming weeks! This weekend we are going on a bike trip in Gyeongju because it will be the peak season for Cherry Blossoms. We are both looking forward to this weekend!
The dogs at the cafe!
This is a blurry but I wanted to snap a picture of the mupples (matching couple) at the cafe.
Cuties napping. 
This dalmation had such a personality, I was just picturing it trying to copy the people and order a drink.












This was a really cute dog to have come sit in your lap.

3 comments:

  1. Are there many pet owners in Korea? Do these cafes exist because most apartments are so small/

    See you real soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some people have pets, but I think it is rare because everyone lives in apartments. Maybe that is why they have these cafes. We have only seen a few larger dogs since being in Korea. See you soon mama!

      Delete