Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day: Feb 14-15, 2013

Happy Valentine's Day!

This week has been very relaxed, as my students are graduating and there are no real classes. The only students I saw yesterday were my kindergarten class for a little while before their mini graduation to grade 1. Several day ago, I received a package from my Teta (aunt) in the mail. Along with a few things for myself, she send Valentine's day goodies for my students! Thanks again :) I was a little disappointed when I found out I wouldn't be teaching a full class, but after talking with the kindergarten teacher, we arranged for a time for me to come to see the little graduates. After teaching hem how to say "Happy Valentine's Day!", and other themed words, I gave them the card pillows (little packages where I put the gifts inside), filled with a toy to make bubbles and a few stickers. They were so happy, and when I demonstrated how to make the bubbles, each student was yelling at the top of their lungs with excitement. It was an awesome way to say bye to the K class. I don't teach grades 1 and 2, so I won't have this funny class starting in March (when the new semester starts).

Valentine's Day is an interesting holiday in Korea. I learnt that on February 14th, it is the girls that give the guys gifts, and it is customary to give chocolates. Then a month later, there is another holiday called White Day. This is when the guys return the favour and give a gift to the girls that gave them gifts on Valentine's Day. My co-teachers told me that guys usually give candies, even if the girl likes chocolates better, apparently the guys always give candies. Then the holidays continue on into March. Black Day is a holiday on March 14th for singles to celebrate being single and eat black noodles, a Chinese food dish. So I guess in the end, everyone has to a chance to celebrate no matter what relationship status you have over these three months.

As for us, I actually didn't even see Ian on Valentine's Day, except for the morning before school. Ian's school organized an overnight teacher's retreat, a sort of field trip for teachers to bond, on Valentine's Day. He wasn't told anything about the trip, and wasn't entirely sure where he was going even when the teachers were on the bus. I am looking forward to hearing stories from this trip when I see him after school. Maybe he will write an entry later...hint hint Ian.

For other updates, our Thailand countdown is already at 8 days! We are planning on going to Itaewon (the foreign area) in Seoul this weekend to buy a brand of sunscreen we recognize. Ian and I bought some last weekend, but after hearing stories and recommendations from friends that used Korean brands while on vacation and burned badly, I think I want to buy some Banana Boat or Coppertone.

K class with valentine's day goodies.

1 comment:

  1. I think the K class will definitely remember Teacher Nadia.

    ReplyDelete