Thursday, December 20, 2012

Updates on us waygooks: December 14-20

Another week has flown by and I am sad to report that the temperatures have warmed and all our snow is starting to melt. We are hopeful that it will return before Christmas. Last week was an average week for us waygooks (foreign person in Korean). We are slightly busier at school as we are planning for our winter English camps.

This past weekend was very relaxing. Friday night was a relaxing night just hanging out few a few friends. Saturday morning we went to Cosco again, to get our fix of Western necessities, aka cheese and peanut butter. After shopping we decided to try out a Cat Cafe in Myeong-Dong, Seoul. This was definitely an interesting experience. The basic idea is that you come and order a drink and their are plenty of cats roaming around that you can feed and play with. It was a neat idea and I want to add that it was very clean. We had to wash our hands, take off our shoes and the cats all looked relatively energetic and happy. I think they just get so much love throughout the day, There were many different types of cats and several kittens. There was even a hairless, creepy looking cat wearing a mini Christmas sweater. The drinks were average, but we mostly came for the cats, Growing up with a cat, Ian was loving every minute there!

That night we went out for Mexican food and then to see the Hobbit in 3D with a few friends. The movie was in English with Korean subtitles. We both really liked it, although now Ian is on a mission to watch the three Lord of the Rings movies again.

Sunday was spent Christmas shopping in Bupyeong. I met up with three close girlfriends for some Christmas baking minus the oven. Since ovens are a rare commodity in Korea, Christmas baking is not the same. We researched non-bake cookies and desserts, but it was slim pickings. We settled on macaroons and chocolate bark. We played Christmas music and had a great afternoon.

On Tuesday Dec. 18th, I went skating in Seoul in front of City Hall. I loved the giant Christmas tree. Skating around reminded me of skating at Nathan Phillips square in Toronto, except from what I hear Toronto is not negative 14 degrees Celsius.

On Wednesday Dec. 19th, not only was it St. Nick's but it was also election day in Korea. The presidential election day is considered a holiday, so we didn't have school yesterday. Ian and I decided to take advantage of this extra vacation day and went with two other friends to Everland, an amusement park just out of Seoul. It was a little chilly, but we bundled up. The rides were still open except for one (the wooden one, which sadly looked like a really cool one). We went on roller coasters, went on snow tubing, walked around the Christmas village, and went on a safari tour! The safari tour was not what I expected at all. We were in a bus that drove around on a course, and we actually saw lions, tigers and bears, oh my. There were so many animals and they were right beside our bus. We all could not believe our eyes. It was definitely the closest I have ever been to these exotic animals.

I only have one last thing to mention. Today was my class with the moms from my parent English class I teach. The level of English in this class is very low, but they are a sweet group of mothers that I have bonded with. The mothers are always looking out for me, and bringing me food saying they either made or bought too much.  Today they surprised me with a delicious blueberry yogurt cake, snacks, and a Christmas gift! They bought me a thick wool scarf and a pair of gloves. It was a great last day!

There are 5 days til Christmas! Japan in 30 days and Thailand in 65! We have a good line up in front of us :)

I got up to get our drinks and when I came back this little cat took my seat!

Ian is in heaven!





Skating in Seoul - Isabelle, me, Emily
Everland


 

Snow tubing

Everland

Lion

Bear!

Anyeong!

Song and dance from characters dressed as candies.



Emily and I

Ian and Ryan

Christmas lights :)
Ian fitting in.

Parent Class cake

The moms and one of their daughters from my class.


4 comments:

  1. Skating in Seoul! What a memory to have. I think I may skip the Cat Cafe though it is a unique idea. You'll be missed at our St. Nick's party tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Skating was amazing, though Ian didn't join me. And yes, I can see you skipping the cat cafe mama haha. I enjoyed the experience, but I think Ian enjoyed it more. I miss your party and even the carolling. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have been laughing really hard at your descriptions, and the photos for both this and Christmas. Looks like Christmas in Korea is actually a huge excuse for really lavish decorating to a theme. We think the singing and dancing candies are a riot. We are very proud of your determination to enjoy your Christmas and focus on what's fun and different, instead of what you are missing back home.
    Agree that Ian appears to be REALLY ENJOYING the cat cafe. I'd be concerned if he starts making regular return visits, or promotes owning more than 6 at any time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha yes, it has definitely been a different Christmas, one I'm sure we both will never forget.
    I will keep an eye on his cat obsession, especially in Korea, as you can easily buy a cat on the streets for 5,000 Won (roughly 4$CAN) and Ian has to pass one of these vendors on his way to and from school.

    ReplyDelete